We browsed through our game library, re-read our diaries, researched the hell out of the internet for the best RPGs of all time and here is the result. This infographic is meant to help you find the best RPG that suits your needs whenever you’re out of ideas.
You might’ve forgotten, but a few months ago, on a cold February afternoon, we released a humongous infographic on the internet containing (what we then thought) a definitive list of the best RPGs. It contained about 100 titles.
We have never been so wrong. After publishing the infographic we got TONS of feedback from our readers. It seems we missed about 400 titles, so we went back to the drawing board, dead-set to create the MOST COMPREHENSIVE resource of RPGs on the internet.
How It All Began
We won’t lie to you – it took a lot of work. Like, a lot. Gathering the data, centralizing the titles, neatly categorizing each game in the appropriate place, and not to mention designing the infographic itself, took a lot of grind and sweat.
- 3 weeks to gather the initial data, researching, and talking to friends,
- 1 week of proofreading and arguing with said friends about the differences between real-time with pause and turn-based games,
- Several hours making research on the difference between high fantasy and low fantasy only to understand that there is no consensus in the media on either definition, and we’re free to accept whichever option we wish,
- 2 days for our designer to come up with a structure that makes sense,
- Hours upon hours to find all the information required,
- 2 weeks of gathering your feedback and doubling the number of games
- Hours of our designer adding all them and alphabetizing all 500+ games per your request,
- 1836 layers in the Photoshop file,
- A full month of being proven wrong each day when we thought we knew a lot of RPG games.
Without further ado, here is THE most comprehensive illustrated guide to RPGs:
We Took Your Feedback Seriously
Little did we know back then that our work was far from finished. Turns out, there’s a lot of RPGs out there, so we’ve missed some of them. Others were included in the wrong category. So yeah, sorry for that.
So, to make it up to you guys, we’ve decided to update the infographic with more games and correct the mistakes. OK, ‘’more games’’ is putting it lightly – in its current form, it’s essentially double the infographic.
Of course, accomplishing this task would’ve been impossible without your help and constructive feedback, so we’d like to thank you all for your suggestions. Yes, even the ones who wished we’d suffer a horrible death for not including their favorite obscure 8bit RPG from 1981.
If this illustrated RPG guide hasn’t helped you find a next game to play, maybe the following articles will do the job. We have analyzed the best RPGs and broken down into genres to give you fresh recommandations for your next adventure.
Browse our favorite RPG games:
- 28 Best Fantasy RPGs That Everybody Should Play At Least Once - Browse our list of the best fantasy RPGs of all time. From old isometric titles to the latest releases, we ranked our absolute favorites.
- Here Are Our 9 Best Mobile RPGs - Here are our favorite mobile RPGs that you can play on the go.
- 13 Awesome Games Set In Real Places - Here's a list of the best real setting games if you're tired of the same old fantasy universe.
- 16 Best Sci Fi RPGs that Will Blow Your Mind - Browse our list of the best Sci Fi RPGs that will blow your mind and time away. From mainstream titles to niche isometric RPGs, we’ve taken into consideration all titles that feature Sci Fi elements and fun RPG mechanics.
- 18 Upcoming RPGs That Look Incredible - Check out our list of the upcoming RPGs that we are excited about.
- 33 Best Post-Apocalyptic Games of All Time - Roam and plunder the wastelands in our selection of great post-apocalyptic games.
GAMING NEWS & EXCLUSIVE GIVEAWAYS
DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX
Hey everyone, it’s Kent, and today we’re checking out Ghost of Tsushima, the upcoming PS4 exclusive by Sucker Punch releasing next month! If you’ve been following the game for a while, then you might already know a few or most of these details but if that's the case,...
All the notable Mount and Blade Warband cheats you could ever need to make your playthrough easier, harder, or more exciting. You choose! :)Probably the best expansion to the first Mount and Blade game, Warband is filled with content that will keep you occupied even...
Find out how to cure vampirism in Skyrim, depending on its stage, from our no-nonsense guide.Whether you’re new to Skyrim or if you’ve played it for thousands of hours, you probably know that you can turn into a vampire. No, not with any mods. It’s an in-game feature...
In this article we’ll be looking at the best medieval games to play in 2020, especially since we’re spending more time than usual at home.
Check out our list of best open world games that don’t feel empty. You might find at least one title worth exploring.
We take a closer look at the best Witcher 3 armor sets and weapons to help you slash down enemies easily, even on death march. When it came out in 2015, there were few who could deny it was a truly breathtaking game. Sweeping landscapes sprawled out before you as you...