We browsed through our game library, re-read our diaries, researched the hell out of the internet for the best RPGs of all time and here is the result. This infographic is meant to help you find the best RPG that suits your needs whenever you’re out of ideas.
You might’ve forgotten, but a few months ago, on a cold February afternoon, we released a humongous infographic on the internet containing (what we then thought) a definitive list of the best RPGs. It contained about 100 titles.
We have never been so wrong. After publishing the infographic we got TONS of feedback from our readers. It seems we missed about 400 titles, so we went back to the drawing board, dead-set to create the MOST COMPREHENSIVE resource of RPGs on the internet.
How It All Began
We won’t lie to you – it took a lot of work. Like, a lot. Gathering the data, centralizing the titles, neatly categorizing each game in the appropriate place, and not to mention designing the infographic itself, took a lot of grind and sweat.
- 3 weeks to gather the initial data, researching, and talking to friends,
- 1 week of proofreading and arguing with said friends about the differences between real-time with pause and turn-based games,
- Several hours making research on the difference between high fantasy and low fantasy only to understand that there is no consensus in the media on either definition, and we’re free to accept whichever option we wish,
- 2 days for our designer to come up with a structure that makes sense,
- Hours upon hours to find all the information required,
- 2 weeks of gathering your feedback and doubling the number of games
- Hours of our designer adding all them and alphabetizing all 500+ games per your request,
- 1836 layers in the Photoshop file,
- A full month of being proven wrong each day when we thought we knew a lot of RPG games.
Without further ado, here is THE most comprehensive illustrated guide to RPGs:
We Took Your Feedback Seriously
Little did we know back then that our work was far from finished. Turns out, there’s a lot of RPGs out there, so we’ve missed some of them. Others were included in the wrong category. So yeah, sorry for that.
So, to make it up to you guys, we’ve decided to update the infographic with more games and correct the mistakes. OK, ‘’more games’’ is putting it lightly – in its current form, it’s essentially double the infographic.
Of course, accomplishing this task would’ve been impossible without your help and constructive feedback, so we’d like to thank you all for your suggestions. Yes, even the ones who wished we’d suffer a horrible death for not including their favorite obscure 8bit RPG from 1981.
If this illustrated RPG guide hasn’t helped you find a next game to play, maybe the following articles will do the job. We have analyzed the best RPGs and broken down into genres to give you fresh recommandations for your next adventure.
Browse our favorite RPG games:
- Divinity Original Sin 2 Guide: Fort Joy - The most comprehensive guide to Divinity Original Sin 2's Fort Joy area, complete with map, markers, secrets, and side-quests.
- 28 Best Fantasy RPGs That Everybody Should Play At Least Once - Browse our list of the best fantasy RPGs of all time. From old isometric titles to the latest releases, we ranked our absolute favorites.
- 13 Awesome Games Set In Real Places - Here's a list of the best real setting games if you're tired of the same old fantasy universe.
- 16 Best Sci Fi RPGs that Will Blow Your Mind - Browse our list of the best Sci Fi RPGs that will blow your mind and time away. From mainstream titles to niche isometric RPGs, we’ve taken into consideration all titles that feature Sci Fi elements and fun RPG mechanics.
GAMING NEWS & EXCLUSIVE GIVEAWAYS
DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX
Join SmoughTown as he takes us through the Bounty Hunter Class; a devastating and unique damage dealer.
We continue our Divinity Original Sin 2 walkthrough with a full breakthrough of the Fort Joy quests and secret missions!
Join Kane as he shares his experiences in Outriders, where he makes the most of the Character Creation system to role play as the one, the only; Leonardo DiCaprio
The Railjack feature is entirely new side of Warframe with new rewards, new gameplay and new lore. So, we have pulled together this beginner Railjack guide to help you take to the stars and face off against the sentient threat.
The Jester, the Darkest Dungeon’s answer to the ‘Joker’, is certainly an odd duck who mixes bleed abilities with team wide buffs. However he is often a hero who finds himself with a spot on my squad. Why? His ability to target and harass the middle ranks is super useful for ignoring and bypassing front row tanks and build up some seriously dangerous bleed damage.
Friendship. Friendship never changesAh, Fallout. The video game franchise that inspires more debates and disappointment than a Christmas dinner. It may have fallen out of grace in recent years, with Fallout 76 continuing to prove that funny glitches and brand loyalty...